Bruce's Custom Cover for VL3 Canopy

I plan to keep my VL3 in a hanger but wanted to have at least a canopy cover to protect the interior when parked outside away from home.  Bruce's Custom Covers offers a VL3 canopy cover for about $500 +/- depending on optional registration number imprinting and shipping.  Much lower price point than the $2,300+ full-aircraft cover from JMB, so perhaps a good solution for occasional use while traveling.  Lead time is 3-4 weeks; I went ahead and ordered one.  Will report back with photos and comments about quality and fit.

• Like 1

I always buy the Bruce's covers for my planes, they're great. Given mine will be hangared and the small cargo area this time opted for the lightweight travel cover with some hesitation knowing it's way more fragile than the normal variety... it should occupy less space as the normal covers are a bit bulky. Hope not a mistake but to me worth the try. They discount 10% when buy associated with air show (Sun'N'Fun for me). Waiting on mine though because don't know if any interference with antennas. I pulled the trigger way too early but at the time was going on the promise of my VL3 ready for Oshkosh which has no chance of happening now.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jim Harris said:

Has anybody looked at cowl plugs and found a solution?

Good question. The cowl plugs from Bruce’s appear to be based on the Lancair cowl and do not look like the right shape for a VL3. I suspect Bruce’s would be happy to tweak the shape if we sent them dimensions.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:  Bruce's Custom Covers is now communicating directly with JMB to confirm the measurements for a canopy cover and plugs for the cowl openings and underbelly air scoop.  Once Bruce's confirms the measurements, the cover and plugs will be available for anyone to order directly from Bruce's website.  I'll post another update once I hear that everything is good-to-go.