DC-Area Meetups

If anyone happens to be visiting or flying through the DC area, please let me know.  Would be delighted to meet-up for lunch or a drink -- non-alcoholic unless done flying for the day, of course!

Be mindful of the special security procedures when flying through the DC area, but don't let the Special Flight Rules Area ("SFRA") scare you.  Complete the mandatory online training course on the FAA website and, most importantly, never squawk VFR (1200) within the SFRA.  Our local radar controllers ("Potomac Approach") talk to small planes all day and are very helpful, as evidenced by vectoring me on this wild shortcut around Dulles (KIAD) when I recently departed Manassas and happened to catch a gap in Dulles arrivals.

The nearest "easy" airports are Manassas (KHEF) (towered, inside the SFRA) and Stafford (KRMN) (non-towered, outside the SFRA).  Leesburg (KJYO) has special procedures and is congested -- possible but not the easiest choice.  College Park (KCGS) is closest to downtown and has a subway station within walking distance, but it's inside the Flight Restricted Zone (FRZ) and so practically unavailable for transients.

For food, I recommend Runway Grille at Hagerstown (KHGR), but watch for a TFR around Camp David when the President is visiting.  In the summer, Bay Bridge (W29) is a great choice for fresh Chesapeake Bay crabs at the Stevensville Crab Shack.  Shannon (KEZF) also has a restaurant, The Robin's Nest Cafe, on-field and is across the street from a Wawa for 24/7 food.

Potomac Shortcut Vectors.png