Maintenance Partner in Quakertown, Pennsylvania

Matt Ricciardi

I visited JMB's maintenance partner at Quakertown Airport (KUKT) in Pennsylvania yesterday.  Two VL3s are there for post-shipment reassembly, testing, and certification now.  The shop was clean, well-lit, and seemed well-organized.  Photo attached.

Three folks, including the owner, were there working on a Saturday afternoon.  The owner, Bob, owns and races a Lancair (visible in the background of the photo).  He seemed very knowledgeable and experienced with a real passion for light aircraft, particularly high-performance experimentals.  I left with a good feeling.

The shop also plans to offer annual inspections and routine maintenance for VL3 owners in the region.  I'm about an hour away in the DC area, less at VL3 speeds, so I expect this will be my go-to shop when my own VL3 arrives this summer.

KUKT_Shop_Web.jpg

3 minutes ago, Michael Hodes said:

Do you know if they are an option for receiving and assembling the plane when it arrives in the US?

Yes.  Two planes are there being reassembled after shipment from the factory now.  Ask your dealer about delivering via Quakertown.  You'll probably want to have the plane ferried to a more tax-friendly state for closing, however.

On 2/27/2024 at 7:53 PM, Michael Hodes said:

I think we take delivery of the plane in the Czech Republic, so I am not sure that is a concern.

I'm not a tax attorney, accountant, financial advisor, or anything of the sort, so I'm certainly not qualified to give advice on these issues.  But, if you're planning to take delivery in the Czech Republic, then some issues to consider:

• Will any taxes be due in Europe?
  • Who is responsible for disassembling, crating, and shipping your plane to the States?
  • What happens if it's damaged during shipment?  Do you need to take out insurance?
  • Who is responsible for customs paperwork and clearance upon arrival in the States?  Will any duties be due?
  • Who is responsible for transporting the container from the port to the maintenance shop assisting with reassembly?
  • Even if no sales tax is due, will a use tax be due to the state where you base the plane?

I don't know the answers in your particular situation, of course, but I'd talk through them with your broker and, separately, with a knowledgeable advisor (e.g., an aviation attorney).  If you're an AOPA or EAA member, they may be able to assist.  This is complicated stuff and missteps can be expensive; don't want you (or any of the customers on here) to be unpleasantly surprised.

Matt - Good questions.  My initial purchase agreement was setup for delivery at the factory and JMB will crate it and coordinate the shipping and paperwork.  I am responsible for paying for the shipping and insurance in transit.  It sounds like the structure of the contract changed after Alion was replaced as their US dealer.

3 hours ago, Michael Hodes said:

It sounds like the structure of the contract changed after Alion was replaced as their US dealer.

Ah, could be.  I don't have visibility into all the various Purchase Agreements used by brokers over time.  Just wanted to make sure folks think through potential issues to avoid costly surprises.  Sounds like you're on top of it!