Secondary Radio?

What are folks doing for a secondary radio?  COM-only (e.g.GTR 255A) or NAV/COM (e.g.GNC 255A)?

Having a secondary VOR/LOC/GS radio on top of a GTN 650Xi, which incorporates a VOR/LOC/GS receiver, may seem like overkill, but my concern is having a single point of failure for IFR operations.  The GPS in the G3X Touch is VFR-only and its database does not contain instrument approach procedures.  So, if the GTN 650Xi were to fail, I would have no way to fly any type of instrument approach.

4 minutes ago, Jim Harris said:

I see Garmin also has a new GNC 215.

Yep, a colleague (who also happens to be a pilot) sent me an e-mail about the new GNC 215 earlier today.  As of a few hours ago, the GNC 255 is listed as a "previous model" on the Garmin website, so appears the GNC 215 is intended to replace the GNC 255.

Well adding the GNC 215 is not a cheap option, but after some thought, I’m going to go with it.  I had a GTN 750 screen black out on me while taxiing once.  So the idea of not having a backup plan for approaches didn’t sit too well with me. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2024 at 3:13 PM, Matt Ricciardi said:

So, if the GTN 650Xi were to fail, I would have no way to fly any type of instrument approach.

Legally, yes, but if you've got Foreflight you're still in pretty good shape. Having had a complete panel failure one evening on an IFR flight (dead radios, dark cockpit, no transponder, the works), I can testify that it is actually fairly easy to fly an approach with a G5 (on battery power) and an iPad. Moreover, the FAA is surprisingly happy with this procedure so long as you call them IMMEDIATELY after landing and later give them a very thorough explanation. 😅 

9 hours ago, Doug Garrou said:

...it is actually fairly easy to fly an approach with a G5 (on battery power) and an iPad.

And, the FAA has entered the chat.  😅  But, seriously, of course use all available resources in a real emergency.  I've experimented with the attitude reference data streaming from a Stratus to an Foreflight on iPad (while sitting at my desk on the ground).  Not smooth or precise, but it would probably keep me right side up if everything else failed in IMC.  Rather not test that prediction, however.