916iS Limited Paint

JMB offers two "limited" paint designs available only with the 915iS and 916iS engine options.  The 915iS limited design is the famous checkerboard racing scheme.  The 916iS limited design is the "pixel" or hexagon scheme.

I ordered the 916iS engine option and the 916iS Limited paint scheme, although it's not required--you can still choose any of the other paint schemes.  The silver and lime green design exhibited at Friedrichshafen AERO 2023 was too loud for my taste, so I worked with François Stelandre, the head of design at JMB, to tailor the color pallet during my factory visit.  We started with the Long Beach Blue from my car, kept the two-tone silver, and added Moon White accents.  For the interior, we went with cognac leather, which is elegant (and popular) in its own right, but especially striking next to the blue paint.

The resulting paint design and a photo of the color swatches from François' design studio are attached.  The paint diagram doesn't do the colors justice.  They're metallic, deeply saturated, and "pop" in person.

François is excellent.  (He is French after all, so art is in his blood.)  Tell him what you like, favorite colors, etc., and he'll work with you time come up with a design.

916is BMW Long Beach Blue.jpg

BMW Long Beach Blue w Cognac Leather.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Matt Ricciardi said:

JMB offers two "limited" paint designs available only with the 915iS and 916iS engine options.  The 915iS limited design is the famous checkerboard racing scheme.  The 916iS limited design is the "pixel" or hexagon scheme.

I ordered the 916iS engine option and the 916iS Limited paint scheme, although it's not required--you can still choose any of the other paint schemes.  The silver and lime green design exhibited at Friedrichshafen AERO 2023 was too loud for my taste, so I worked with François Stelandre, the head of design at JMB, to tailor the color pallet during my factory visit.  We started with the Long Beach Blue from my car, kept the two-tone silver, and added Moon White accents.  For the interior, we went with cognac leather, which is elegant (and popular) in its own right, but especially striking next to the blue paint.

The resulting paint design and a photo of the color swatches from François' design studio are attached.  The paint diagram doesn't do the colors justice.  They're metallic, deeply saturated, and "pop" in person.

François is excellent.  (He is French after all, so art is in his blood.)  Tell him what you like, favorite colors, etc., and he'll work with you time come up with a design.

916is BMW Long Beach Blue.jpg

BMW Long Beach Blue w Cognac Leather.jpg

Nice Matt!  I found the experience with Francois wonderful as did my wife.  My 916 design was a bit bold for her, but in the end she supported it.  Francois mentioned that first design/impressions are usually the best...  We did look at many other color choices.  This is my 7th airplane and 3rd custom paint design, so I wanted it to be bold and unique.  Fun process, and don't forget monogramed head rests, colored seat belts and color stitching for the interior to make your airplane your own.

IMG_7758.thumb.jpeg.256bcbb3364d8cd89beaeb47c1a8dbe4.jpegjmb-PKTV4VCZ4-shot.thumb.png.810b88259a72079c4579b816911b1b94.png

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 887MK said:

My 916 design was a bit bold for her, but in the end she supported it.

The photo attached to your post isn't visible.  Just shows as a black box.  I think it requires a log-in to cloud storage.  Can you try downloading the image and attaching it directly rather than through a link?  Need to see your design!

17 hours ago, Matt Ricciardi said:

The photo attached to your post isn't visible.  Just shows as a black box.  I think it requires a log-in to cloud storage.  Can you try downloading the image and attaching it directly rather than through a link?  Need to see your design!

Hi Matt, jpeg does not want to properly upload so I can't share Francois's 3 color plates and as you know the picture below is a bit off on the colors.  Colors are Aston Martin yellow, P26 Bordeaux and Porsche Anthracite.  Factory folks thought it reminded them of a snake... I prefer to think of the airplane as "The Beast."  Like I mentioned, I wanted the airplane to be a bit "out there" with a bold look.  Mark

jmb-PKTV4VCZ4-shot.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Doug Vause-JMB Western US said:

The seat are cool to with the yellow boarder stitching (you have to zoom into the image to see it).

Good choice going with double-thickness padding in the seats.  Well worth the modest up-charge, at least to my backside.  Not the most exciting option, but one dealers should recommend to customers who plan to use their VL3 for cross-country flying.

18 hours ago, Doug Vause-JMB Western US said:

I can jump in here and provide the pdf's of Marks Final Design from Francois! "The Beast" is a bold design that is going to be fun to see when it is finished! The seat are cool to with the yellow boarder stitching (you have to zoom into the image to see it).

887MK The Beast 1.png

887MK The Beast 2.png

887MK The Beast Seats.png

Thanks Doug!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I finished up my design with Francois at the factory in February.  He did a great job and was amazing to work with.  I made this background for my PC to give me something to look at while I patiently (yea right) wait for my VL3!  My daughter has nicknamed the airplane Sting.  LOL.

Screen Background.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

UPDATE!  This one (hoping for N-899TX) is coming into the USA soon and headed to the GREAT STATE OF TEXAS.  When the seats are done I will post.  Note the A/P is intentionally installed upside down for a weight/balance calculation.

Best

David

DSC_0834.JPG

DSC_0812.JPG

DSC_0809.JPG

DSC_0805.JPG

Edited by David Galardi
  • Like 2