Canopy Options? Aveo ventilation?

887MK

Hi All,  JMB VL3 website says that multiple (4) colors/tints (clear, blue, green or brown) are available for the canopy; however, there are no build options except for clear..  Are there canopy options or not?  Would be good to correct website or equipment order list accordingly.  Also, would be great to see a "sun shade" option as I have heard they have been installed.

Aveo ventilation is also mentioned as an option, but there was no build option for Aveo as stated on the website.  Perhaps standard now?  I'm located in Minnesota and Montana and will fly between the two very cold winter states, so I need the best heating system available.  It was -72 F (-58 C) in Montana yesterday and -20 F in Minnesota.  Would be great to understand correct Aveo option and have website correct as well... what is the situation with this?  Thanks.

I can help on a couple of these questions from knowledge gained during my own purchasing journey...

1 hour ago, 887MK said:

Aveo ventilation is also mentioned as an option, but there was no build option for Aveo as stated on the website.  Perhaps standard now?

"Aveo ventilation" has been included in the base configuration for the 915iS (and later the 916iS) going back to at least 2022.  Ask the U.S. sales agent for a copy of the current equipment/options sheet to confirm--mine is somewhat dated now.

1 hour ago, 887MK said:

Also, would be great to see a "sun shade" option as I have heard they have been installed.

I'm not aware of a factory sun shade option, but the owner of Jet-Shades.com has a VL3 on-order and plans to offer a VL3 shade as soon as he receives his plane to confirm fit.

Hi Mark, 

Thanks for pointing that out I will send an email to Matej at the factory to see if we can get that information changed and updated. Every VL3 also has a vent for defrosting and and vent for heating, I have flown in the Czech winters to Austria, Poland ETC. I don't exactly recall the outside temps but it was definitely in the negative C's.  With the 915is/916is the standard heating works well even in these temperatures. As for the temps in MN, I am not sure, I will ask some of our customers from North Europe and see what there experience has been with the standard heating. Always go by your dealers sales sheet/price sheet to see the latest equipment on board as we have made significant changes from the years. All VL3's come standard with two air vents in the cockpit (Pilot & Co-pilot) , and two circle vents that are rotatable 360 degrees and can be adjusted to limit the airflow. I typically only open the canopy vents on the ground and close them on takeoff but you can fly with them open all the time. 

22 hours ago, Matt Ricciardi said:

I can help on a couple of these questions from knowledge gained during my own purchasing journey...

"Aveo ventilation" has been included in the base configuration for the 915iS (and later the 916iS) going back to at least 2022.  Ask the U.S. sales agent for a copy of the current equipment/options sheet to confirm--mine is somewhat dated now.

I'm not aware of a factory sun shade option, but the owner of Jet-Shades.com has a VL3 on-order and plans to offer a VL3 shade as soon as he receives his plane to confirm fit.

Excellent, thanks Matt.  I understand now that Aveo is 915/916 standard and likely still an option on smaller engine sized aircraft.  BTW - I have enjoyed your video and comment journey with JMB.  Looking forward to meeting you at a VL3 fly-in in 2025.

19 hours ago, Lukashi said:

Hi Mark, 

Thanks for pointing that out I will send an email to Matej at the factory to see if we can get that information changed and updated. Every VL3 also has a vent for defrosting and and vent for heating, I have flown in the Czech winters to Austria, Poland ETC. I don't exactly recall the outside temps but it was definitely in the negative C's.  With the 915is/916is the standard heating works well even in these temperatures. As for the temps in MN, I am not sure, I will ask some of our customers from North Europe and see what there experience has been with the standard heating. Always go by your dealers sales sheet/price sheet to see the latest equipment on board as we have made significant changes from the years. All VL3's come standard with two air vents in the cockpit (Pilot & Co-pilot) , and two circle vents that are rotatable 360 degrees and can be adjusted to limit the airflow. I typically only open the canopy vents on the ground and close them on takeoff but you can fly with them open all the time. 

Thanks Lukashi,

Those MN and MT temps are quite dramatic as we are in as severe cold system this week... I do limit my flying to -20 or -30, which frankly is easy to hit at altitude.  As expected, it is great to see JMB is building for temperature extremes.  Stay warm!

Mark, 

I flew in -11C yesterday and the 915is heater kept up  but I probably wouldn't go much lower than that. I had a light sweater, jeans & normal summer shoes and was comfortable. When stepped out on the ramp in North Atlanta with 10knot winds gusting 18k it was a different story haha. I also think I set a new GS record for the VL3!

IMG_1204.thumb.PNG.086a7a991e3dc6a21689019c876bf6cd.PNG

• Like 2

I can answer your question "It was -72 F (-58 C) in Montana yesterday and -20 F in Minnesota", In our demo plane, which you flew, at altitude, we have seen -40/-50 and with the heater vent pulled to just the first notch kept plenty warm, and needed to periodically close it because we got too hot.  Naturally, we were cold on the ground until the plane got to temperature, but once it was warmed up we haven't had an issue with staying warm.  

20230923_113712_resized.jpg

20231121_142203_resized.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 1/21/2024 at 7:44 AM, Lukas Bestajovsky said:

Mark, 

I flew in -11C yesterday and the 915is heater kept up  but I probably wouldn't go much lower than that. I had a light sweater, jeans & normal summer shoes and was comfortable. When stepped out on the ramp in North Atlanta with 10knot winds gusting 18k it was a different story haha. I also think I set a new GS record for the VL3!

IMG_1204.thumb.PNG.086a7a991e3dc6a21689019c876bf6cd.PNG

Guessing you won't see -11C in Miami!