Shipping Date by Serial Number

In the most recent "Happy New Year" podcast episode, starting around time index 7:30, JMB mentioned that the first VL3 with a 916iS engine will arrive in the United States on or about January 2nd.  They said that was serial number 545.  I'm about 40 numbers higher, but presumably most of the intervening planes will stay in Europe.  I'll certainly post when I get my own shipping date!

• Like 2

Hmmmmmm.........  That means my serial number 575 won't be in the US until about May 1st (since they produce 7-8 planes per month).  That is not consistent with timing they've been telling me.  I'll need to follow-up with JMB and confirm my timing.

21 minutes ago, Michael Hodes said:

Hmmmmmm.........  That means my serial number 575 won't be in the US until about May 1st (since they produce 7-8 planes per month).  That is not consistent with timing they've been telling me.  I'll need to follow-up with JMB and confirm my timing.

I'm in the 580s, and JMB told me it would be here in March.  I'm skeptical, realistically hoping for April, and likewise pressing for a timing update.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

I wanted to update you that I'm no longer employed with JMB at the factory, so I can't represent the factory anymore. However, I can share my experience from 4 years on site and do my best to  explain how serial numbers (SN) in production may not follow a sequential order. In the production process, a VL3 aircraft receives its SN after the second payment confirmation, typically after the fuselage has been laminated but is still essentially a shell. The factory uses two sets of numbers: Serial numbers and lamination numbers. As you walk around, you'll see a mix of SNs and lamination numbers on airplanes (usually around 40-45 in production simultaneously). The organization of these numbers is a question best addressed by the production manager. Not all VL3s are identical; we receive many requests for customized equipment. However, we've recently limited modifications for safety and standardization purposes. For instance, we have a customer requesting a modified fuselage for surveillance work, a new type of customization for us. This plane will have its SN assigned after the second payment but may be delayed in lamination or rough assembly to accommodate the request. If it spends extra time in these departments, it may be surpassed by other customers. Various factors can affect production. One example is the production of factory test aircraft, such as the current 916is with SN430 and the upcoming demo plane with SN545, even though the last aircraft seen in Final Assembly in December 2023 had SN569. Other factors include cancellations, where planes are temporarily removed from production until a new buyer is found. Additionally, different conditions of payment, especially for customers in regions like South Africa and Brazil, with strict banking laws requiring multiple authorizations, can affect the sequencing of serial numbers when payments due not fulfilled within the deadline. However, production of other aircraft continues without interruption leading to a shift in other airplanes moving forward. In summary, the sequencing of serial numbers is influenced by various scenarios, wether from cancelations, special modification request or factory development aircraft at the end of the day its many events combined that paint the full picture.  JMB Aircraft does its best to prioritizes timely deliveries but will not compromise safety and quality to expedite the process. Although, I am no longer working at the factory directly, I am still a partner of JMB and visit it frequently. If you guys have any questions, I am available Via email or phone. I do not check this forum frequently but will do my best to reply to comments when I do. If available always check in with your sales guy or dealer for updates. We have an incredible team of people and we all communicate on a daily basis. Alternatively, long time friend and work colleague Josh Scheid has taken the roll of GM of sales in the USA and he can also be contacted with questions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1