Ceramic Coating

Michael Hodes

When I was in Chocen for the build and flight training, I met a current owner at the airport and he was extolling the virtues of a ceramic coating.  I am planning on doing this to my plane as soon as it arrives.  Does anyone have any experience with the ceramic coatings?  An more specifically having it applied to the VL3?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Some of the RV folks with higher-end paint jobs (like a new VL3 would doubtless have) report good success with ceramic coatings. Hydrosilex Marine Ceramic Coating has been mentioned favorably a few times. I haven't tried it but might give it a whirl. Not sure if I'd need to get the Aero Cosmetics Wash/Wax All off first (I love that stuff)....

• Like 1

I emailed Francois Stelandre to get his take on ceramic coatings.  His response is below:

I really don’t know what to say . 

Ceramic is for sure an additional protection for the paint but is it really done for aircraft? For high altitudes ? I don’t know myself … 

We have some customers who did it and it looks that the protection is good . 

The problem for me and especially if the plane have silver paint , the ceramic will highlight the imperfections if there are  some in the silver . 

What is not visible now will be visible with the ceramic coating . One customer in France did it and a small cloud was visible on the left wing , in the silver . And this was not visible before . 

So , yes , i think that it can protect the paint and the varnish but … there is a but … 

If it’s my plane , i will do it 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Talk of ceramic coat has me thinking of an alternative albeit non-permanent solution (although ceramic coat isn't truly permanent, you need maintenance coats). I'm like the old man in Fat Greek Wedding whose fix to everything is spraying Windex on it, but my stuff is Koenig polish. First found it at Sun'n'Fun like 5 years ago and bought a couple of cans. The stuff cleans, polishes, and protects... not only aircraft exteriors but practically anything (I use it on granite countertops!) If want to fully cover/polish a plane it takes maybe a full can. My Cessna 400 when I sold it shined so well some thought it had a ceramic coat. I liked it so much a couple of years ago I ordered 2 cases online. I'd considered doing the ceramic coat on the 400 at one time but it was expensive and supposedly required someone who really knew their stuff to pull it off properly. Once I discovered this stuff I dismissed the ceramic coat idea. Frankly I rarely wash a plane any longer and use the Koenig to clean off the bugs, belly oil (Bonanza spits some oil for sure), etc. And it works on my fabric Cub just fine. I've used it on the glass and it works fine but do use ClearView instead because ClearView is specific for the glass and doesn't require a 2nd wipe of the film (with Koenig you come back later and terry cloth it). (and by the way I don't mean the avionics glass, I don't touch the screens with any chemicals)  All this said, I have a hangar. Extended time out in the elements I think it's touted to be great but have no personal experience. This is not an ad for the product, get nothing for saying this...  I'm sure there are other products out there like it but I haven't found them nor do I need to look any further.

Koenig.jpg

Edited by Jim Badalamenti
  • Like 1

Jim - Thank you for posting about the Keonig product.  I think I will probably opt to save the $2K and use the Koenig product.  I'll test it on a small, out of the way place to make sure it doesn't cause any problems with the finish.