Oxygen & Engine Pre-Heat Options

Matt Ricciardi

I plan to equip my VL3 with a Mountain High O2D2 supplemental oxygen system (for high-altitude operations) and a Tanis electric engine pre-heat system (for cold weather operations).  The safety page on the JMB website mentions that an oxygen system can be added "upon customer's request" but it wasn't an option on the order form.  Can these options be installed at the factory or are they best handled as "aftermarket" installations upon delivery in Salisbury?

Hello Matt. Take a look at this website :

AITHRE Oxygen System for VL3

https://aithreaviation.com/

This system can be purchased and installed at the factory. The price in USD is $10,500. It is essentially a Mountain High unit attached to a frame behind the seats and plumbed through them to the front .It is also integrated with the 3GX glass panel for monitoring so it is more than just a mechanical installation. The inlets are between the seats in the cockpit . I would think it would be possible to have it installed post production at a JMB Service center. However since this is new it has not been addressed yet. This system will show up soon as a option in  new order forms. I have one of the early versions of the Mountain High computer I just had rebuilt. It works great after 15 years. 

The price in USD is $10,500. It is essentially a Mountain High unit attached to a frame behind the seats and plumbed through them to the front. It is also integrated with the 3GX glass panel for monitoring so it is more than just a mechanical installation.

Yikes.  That's substantially (about 5x) more expensive than the Mountain High O2D2 system.  The G3X avionics integration is neat, but I'll stick with the functionally equivalent aftermarket solution given the price difference.  Being able to remove the system when not in use--most flights for me--is also important to free up cargo space and reduce clutter.

• 4 months later...

I'm probably going to wo with the O2D2 system as well.  I have a 12V power supply between the two seats, so I'll be able to plug in the unit.

When I was in the Czech Republic for the build, I met an Czech owner getting his plane serviced.  He had a 3D printed plastic "clamp" glued into the baggage area to hold the oxygen cylinder in place.  Since we are E-AB, we can add things like that without any FAA paperwork.

I did not get the XL configuration, so I want to measure the cargo area before buying a tank.  I live out west and like to file IFR, so I will probably be on oxygen most flights.  I want to get as large a tank as I can, so I don't have to refill all the time.   Additionally, if I do a long flight in the flight levels, I'll need a big tank.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Matt,  Several of us are going this route.   The box is big, but if we can mount behind the rear bulkhead you have a very clean install that doesn’t take up any baggage space.  The altitude limitations could be conservative figures.  Understandably, Aithre is being conservative out of the gate.  

The gulf states guys are going to install this system in their 916 demo which should be arriving soon, so we should have more feedback in a couple of months and they be may be able to offer an installation option for VL3 owners that are interested. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jim Harris said:

The gulf states guys are going to install this system in their 916 demo which should be arriving soon, so we should have more feedback in a couple of months and they be may be able to offer an installation option for VL3 owners that are interested.

Excellent.  Please keep us posted!  Group after-market arrangement sounds promising and more economical for everyone.

My current plan is to do nothing initially, see how this option shakes out, and then decide next steps.  I'm on the East Coast, so oxygen isn't essential, although I'll eventually want to get up higher for better performance and fuel economy with the turbocharged engine.

• 3 months later...

JMB's maintenance partner here in the States just installed the AITHRE oxygen system in a VL3.  Couple photos attached.  I like how the concentrator box is in the tail section and so does not detract from limited cargo space.  Aftermarket price was quoted as $5.5k plus (unspecified) installation.  I believe this plane will be on display at the JMB booth at Oshkosh later this month.

I'm going to wait for reports from the first few customers before making a decision myself, but this AITHRE system does seem like a nice oxygen solution.  No bottle to refill and no reduction in usable interior space.

AITHRE VL3 Generator.jpg

AITHRE VL3 Ports.jpg

58 minutes ago, Jim Harris said:

And the new version of the system eliminates the flow meter.  It adjusts the flow digitally now which is very nice.

Jim, any hard data on flow capacity, particularly how high it can support two average adults?

9 hours ago, Matt Ricciardi said:

Jim, any hard data on flow capacity, particularly how high it can support two average adults?

The published number is two people up to 15,000 ft.   In talking to them at SnF, that number is most likely conservative.  Everyone will be different of course.  The nice thing is the package we are getting from Gulf States includes all the biometric monitoring add-ons so you can monitor your metrics real time and it gives you haptic warnings if your pulse ox gets below a set point. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim Harris said:

The published number is two people up to 15,000 ft.

That nicely coincides with the critical altitude on the 915iS and 916iS engines, although the service ceiling is higher.  I'm leaning in this direction but plan to wait-and-see how the first few installations work out before making a final decision.  No rush since I don't have a plane yet anyway...

The Gulf States demo VL3 gets it next (within days) and mine as well when it is there for reassembly in presumably 2-3 months. Aithre presents it as a no brainer decision and hopeful that’s the case. Seeing the great speed and efficiency numbers at 12,500’ from the VL3 in your photos on its flight to Oshkosh makes me really want to climb to take advantage when it makes sense. Helps having such a strong climb rate. Can’t wait!

• Like 1

I want to have my aircraft and know the weight and balance before I put 7 lbs that far aft.  I think it will probably not be a problem, but I want to run my expected loading scenarios to confirm.

I think my aircraft left Chocen in the past couple of days, but I need to confirm.  I might be flying it mid-September.

2 hours ago, Michael Hodes said:

I want to have my aircraft and know the weight and balance before I put 7 lbs that far aft.  I think it will probably not be a problem, but I want to run my expected loading scenarios to confirm.

Good point.  Total weight won't be an issue with the 750 kg option, but I had the same thought about balance tipping too far aft when I saw the placement.  As you say, I assume JMB/Gulf States/Azure calculated the balance change and determined it was still well within range.

2 hours ago, Michael Hodes said:

I think my aircraft left Chocen in the past couple of days, but I need to confirm.  I might be flying it mid-September.

Awesome!  Reassembly and Phase I testing at Azure in Tennessee?

Here what the piping behind the seats looks like in this initial installation of the AITHRE oxygen system:

image.thumb.jpeg.b26de26ef5256badee32689e0229a480.jpeg    image.thumb.jpeg.b70af06478a04fb07b0516d6ac68edaf.jpeg

Looks a bit precarious.  I'd be concerned about accidentally hitting it while loading the cargo area.  In fairness, I haven't seen it in person, and I assume the installation mechanics will be refined as more installations are completed.

Photo courtesy of @Jim Harris.

• 1 month later...
On 8/28/2024 at 12:40 PM, David Fankhauser said:

Im thinking about installing this system in my VL3 but heard from someone that he gets to 91% O2 at 15k MSL without a passenger. Now Im reconsidering. Does anyone have other experiences?

I don't have personal experience with the AITHRE system, but my colleague owns an RV-9A and says it has been a topic of discussion in the Van's community.  Perhaps check the Van's Air Force message board.

More VL3s with the AITHRE system are on-order and will soon be flying in the States, so likely more feedback from VL3 owners coming in the months ahead.